Saturday, May 13, 2023

Opiods used to help akathisia

I have mentioned before how my nervous system was badly damaged some time ago by a medication prescribed for insomnia. Well, things seem to be slowly improving, but unfortunately the two medicines I require for my quality of life and sleep to be reasonable are probably the two hardest drugs to get a doctor to prescribe. That puts me in a difficult situation. 

My body can only handle "downers", not "uppers". It needs to be soothed, not stimulated, but the soothing drugs are generally not prescribed to the general public. And I'm not talking about anti-psychotics. They are a disaster, with a terrible side-effects profile (that landed me where I am) but drugs that many doctors are happy to prescribe. 

And another thing I can't handle is cannabis. That is a disaster. Opioids are what I need #1, and benzodiazepines are a poor second choice, but a necessary one if the first choice is unavailable. Far superior to the other type of tranquilizer, anti-psychotics.

See the story below of Jordan Peterson's solution to a similar iatrogenic nervous system disorder to my own. God bless his doctor for having the courage and breadth of mind to try something different that may well have saved Jordan's life. 

It certainly quickly brought his terrible suffering to an end. And it makes sense really. Certain plants were placed on this earth to do things nothing else could. And in this case the fruits of the opium poppy worked wonders.

No comments: