Thursday, July 11, 2019

Math and experience


Some people are bedazzled by statistics, but I would prefer to read first-hand accounts of people who have had unique experiences, and who can tell of them in an entertaining, coherent and believable way.

I find statistics too emotionally dry to engage with on an ongoing basis. I also don't see the key understandings of life as being mathematical in nature. Not to say there is no value in applying math, but this isn't where my interests lie.

Analyzers will analyse, but my own analysis of life is not primarily mathematical, even if much of my formal education was mathematically based, with a focus on economics.

But math is clean and dry and gives the impression of certitude, and people like this in an uncertain world. However, we must guard against the use of math to deliver false certitude, through poor data collection or analysis, or when applied to an area where it doesn't belong!

No comments: