Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Open finding


There are many political (and other) topics that people are sure of, where I am not.
Many things I return an "open finding" on, either because I find the evidence unconvincing either way, or because I haven't studied the topic in enough detail to be sure.

I don't place my convictions on any authority, because I don't know any that are 100% reliable, (although I do know some who have proven to be very accurate, over many years, which I do rely on, but never to the extent of passing them off as unequivocal truth).

I also don't place my faith in popular opinion, whether amongst the general population or amongst experts. Neither can be fully trusted to be 100% correct on complex issues, as systemic (often unconscious) bias is often at play. History bears this observation out.

I need to look into things deeply myself to feel sure of them. Otherwise I tend to return an "open finding".

Meaning "I don't know."

It would be wrong and dishonest of me to pretend otherwise!

No comments: