Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Various school teacher's advice that I remember...

PART I

I've received a few pieces of good advice from teachers in primary, secondary and tertiary school. 

The kindest and most confidence building one came from my grade 5 teacher, Mr Foster, when he chose me as class captain and briefly extolled my virtue, whatever that happened to be. 

I had never seen myself as a leader. I was quite shy when young. It was nice to be recognised. I enjoyed the few tasks I had to perform, oftrn in public places. It brought me into more contact with other students, which I enjoy. I was a diligent and friendly student, but generally a quiet one.

Pic by Alastair Graham, Gate Appreciation Society, courtesy of Lantana Lane.

The second advice, which I think of most often, was in written form: "10-1/10. Too verbose" written in red pen, on the top of the front page of a too-long winded 10-page economics essay.

The essay was commissioned and marked by the impressive and busy Dr Hocking, a rare successful straddler of the business and academic worlds.


Part II

The third critique was by the one-day to be a powerful and successful environmental campaignist amd eventual political leader of the Australian Greens Party, Christine Milne.

She was my long-time English teacher and she warned against me being greedy, or not giving, as best I can express it. They are not her words, just my understanding of what she said.

The final criticism of remembrance, bar one atrocity not to be mentioned here, was given as a rebuke a few times by the inimitable Mr Ewbank.

That sharp rebuke was "shut up, Todd", or words to that effect. 

I plead innocent, yet guilty.

What would happen would inevitably be: my class neighbour would talk to me during a lesson and I would respond, to not cause social offense, and Mr Ewbank would sharply call me out on it.

It seems like it's always the one who responds who gets in trouble. Like in a dispute.

On a a more humorous note, in the same class, where entertainment was mostly lacking, the infamous Desmond Garrigan, comedian, soccer devotee and overall swell guy, had the habit of intensely getting under Mr Ewbank's skin. You could call him the class clown or entertainer. Good value.

One day, Des, leaning back on his chair, with only 2 of the 4 legs on the ground, and probably not greatly involved with the lesson being taught was called out harshly by the teacher, who demanded he immediately get off his chair and hold it above his head. After several minutes of this he was asked by Mr Ewbank: what has he learnt?

Answer from Des: "That chairs are heavy."

Freedom fighter to the end.

No comments: