Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Why "Born Sandy Devotional"?


It's an album cover by an Australian band called The Triffids that has been seen by many, especially in hindsight, as an Australian rock classic. It contains strong undertones of longing and nostalgia for a lost, innocent past. 

Born Sandy Devotional refers to the lead singer, David McComb, I believe, and his upbringing in Western Australia, a dry land, where most of the population hugs the coast and the Swan River that runs through the main city of Perth.  

Much summer life revolves around the river and beaches in Perth and neighbouring towns to the south. Hence "Born Sandy".

The "Devotional" part of the album title I believe refers to songwriter, David McComb's nature, as a devotional man. Devotion to his lover(s), I believe, is what is being referred to, rather than a religious belief. Although I suspect he may have been of Irish decent and had a Catholic upbringing. Devotion seems central to Catholicism, whether to Mother Mary or Jesus, I'm not sure. But this is speculation on my behalf. 

One track that includes some of these themes:
https://youtu.be/dGP6fmpIxt0?si=spMd55G8wXSmPwgq

No comments: