Photo by Sharka Todd
1. Stay away from gullies and water courses
2. Stay away from the sides of steep hills
3. Don’t log on top of hills
4. Only log a small proportion of any given forest (preferably less than 5%), particularly when the forest is natural or semi-natural (as opposed to timber plantations)
5. Attempt to maintain the balance of species in the forest.
6. Careful not to log any area with unique qualities, such as possessing rare plants or animals or possessing unique recreational values.
These guidelines help to maintain the natural integrity of the land and the forest in question.